National Service Scheme (NSS)
NSS Unit, Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong, Meghalaya
The vision is to build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS Aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
NSS Unit, MLCU
The NSS Unit of Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong was started on July, 2013 and in regard to this, an NSS Committee was constituted on November l, 2013. When the University started the NSS Unit, very few students showed interest, however, with the passage of time, the Unit landed up having a handsome number of students who have registered to be NSS Volunteers.
In line with this, a lot of programmes have been organised by the NSS Unit through various Departments in the University and quarterly, half yearly and yearly reports were submitted. Three Audited statements of the expenses were also submitted.
The NSS Committee is headed by Dr. S Maxwell Lyngdoh who is also the Programme Coordinator of the Unit in the University. The NSS Volunteers as the University is involved enormously in community programmes and in reaching out to the rural interiors.
Students who wish to join as an NSS Volunteer in the Unit are asked to fill a Form which is kept as an official record and documentation with the University. Till date, the NSS Unit was able to organise more than 60 programmes.